- Hippocrates, the “father” of medicine, used wine in almost all of his remedies. He used it to alleviate fevers, prescribed it as a diuretic, and utilized it for its antiseptic properties.
- Hammurabi’s Code (1,800 B.C.) features a law to punish fraudulent wine merchants: drowning in a river!
- When wineskins were used to hold wine in ancient times, the skins were cleaned, tanned, and turned so that the hairy side was on the inside, making contact with the wine.
- Today, wine grapes take up the most acres of all fruit crops planted in the world.
- The Vikings called America “Vinland” after finding numerous massive, native grape vines growing there around A.D. 1,000.
- A typical glass of dry red or white wine contains 110 calories. Sweeter wines have more.
For additional wine trivia and insights, check out the Vintage Cellars Wine Storage Education Center. Cheers!